Sunday 13 September 2020

All about ME! by Vaimoana

ALL ABOUT ME

Cruises to Vava u, Tonga | Holland America Line Cruises

(This picture is an image of Vava’u)
This is the place where my
grandpa came from.

Malo e lelei my name is Vaimoana and I am proudly named after my grandpa’s auntie, her name is also Vaimoana. They named me Vaimoana because my grandpa wanted to name me after his auntie. My nickname “Moana” is what people usually call me and it means ocean so I am named after the ocean too.

My last name “Sikalu” was from my grandpa's side in Tonga, Vava’u. I am proud to have this last name because I am proud of my culture. In my family, 28 people in my family live in Tonga and 1 person from my family lives in the United States of America. My last name is hard for people to pronounce but all that matters is that they tried their best to say it. The last name is important because it identifies which family you belong to and where your inheritance also comes from.

Names are important to our families because they are memories of lost loved ones or names given to make connections with a distant family.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of what you have written about our family and the village Papa comes from. Also love that you also wrote about your namesake Papas Aunty Vaimoana. Keep up the awesome writing Moana. Ofa atu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Moana!

    ReplyDelete